22 Dec 2020
INDUSTRY SPOTLIGHT: ENABLING A SHIFT TO A MORE SUSTAINABLE FUTURE FOR EUROPE.Fluoropolymers are critical to a variety of industries and applications across Europe. Over the coming editions we’ll be exploring these in more detail in the Industry Spotlight section – in this first edition we’ll focus on a quick overview of critical uses across a range of applications. While you may be aware of the uses in your specific industry, fluoropolymers have many surprising uses and enable a whole host of innovative solutions. In fact, did you know:
- Aerospace: Fluoropolymers help reduce fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions across the full lifespan.
- Automotive:Fluoropolymers help make traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles safer and cleaner, enabling a transition to electromobility.
- Chemical and power: Fluoropolymer coatings, linings and components are critical to preventing corrosion in harsh industrial environments, enabling additional durability.
- Electronics: Fluoropolymers enable improved performance of cables, notably data transmission cables, for the automotive sector and for medical imaging. They are critical to driving a digital transition in Europe.
- Food and pharmaceuticals: Fluoropolymers help reduce food waste, maintain food freshness and enhance pharmaceutical safety within the applications they are used.
- Medical Equipment and devices: Crucial to the industry, fluoropolymers help prevent drug contamination and material failure, protecting lives and saving costs across the sector.
- Textiles: With their unique properties, fluoropolymers combine durability, waterproofing and breathability in low weight but hard-wearing materials for a range of activities.
- Architecture: Fluoropolymers provide durable, fire-proof, easy-to-clean building materials which can reduce a building’s cooling costs and energy use.
- Renewable energy: An indispensable driver of the Green Deal, fluoropolymers are helping innovate across smart mobility, clean energy and sustainable industry.