Combining high-performance with high-comfort for hard-wearing textiles.
The importance of fluoropolymers for the sector
Fluoropolymers help provide consumers with high performance and high comfort clothing and footwear. They combine durability, waterproofing and breathability, in low weight but hard-wearing materials for a range of activities.
Textiles and clothing are an important sector in Europe, some 174,000 companies were active in this sector in the EU in 2013 with a turnover of almost €170bn and sustaining 1,700,000 employees. Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) are the backbone of the European sector, over 90% of textile companies have fewer than 50 employees and producing almost 60% of the sector’s added value. Fluoropolymers also provide unique properties for the treatment of organic waste as well as for industrial filtration
Unique properties of fluoropolymers and their benefits for the sector
The unique properties of fluoropolymers make them crucial to the competitiveness of the EU textile sector.
Their non-wetting and non-stick properties provide a number of benefits including:
Combination of waterproofing, breathability and comfort (thin and light)
Increased lifetime of the finished product
Non fouling and easy clean
Fluoropolymers and the future of the industry
Fluoropolymers enable textiles to play numerous key roles for society, from protecting essential workers to filtering systems.
- A lightweight, breathable and waterproof fabrics system: using two fluoropolymer membranes that deliver high levels of thermal protection in firefighter gear while reducing the risk of burn injuries and heat stress in wet and dry conditions.
- Jackets, trousers, gloves and footwear for private and professional use with increased comfort and performance
- Aerospace suits
- Outdoor applications like awnings, umbrellas, furniture, boat covers and sails
- Fabrics with fluoropolymer membranes are a key component for a composting solution for the treatment of organic waste (green waste, food waste, source separated organics, biosolids or Municipal Solid Waste – MSW)
- Industrial filtration and gas sampling to prevent emissions in the chemical and power sectors
- ePTFE sewing thread, fibers and weaving yarn are used in demanding environments and high-performance ropes